SteamVR Performance Test

 Thought I would give Steam's VR test programme a run last night. I bought my pc last year and I did my best to get the most for my price range, so I was interested to see how it would stand up to what some people are saying is the next big thing for gaming (though I have my own views on that).
The programme itself is available in your steam library under Software/Utilities and is about a 1.9gb download, which I thought was overkill for what it does....  Anyway once installed it runs for about 2mins to see if your pc can handle VR. I'm happy to say it passed and was marked as Ready, but only just in the ready marker! (see screen grab). I guess I'm glad that my system would be good to go, but VR is in my mind many years away from being a real need for any gamer, and at the price mark of $800 which will be £800 uk when it does come out here, as our exchange rate is odd that way, it's not going to be on many people's shopping lists.
 As with all new tech coming onto the market, the price is very important and really is only for the first adopters. I myself have trouble with motion sickness while playing fps, though I do believe they have managed to reduce that problem, I would still have to test run it, and even then it's like 3D movies, when they just chuck a few things flying at the screen to say "Hey look 3D" it's a real waste, they will really need to make it it's own genre not just adapt a few games to work with it. VR it's the future......





Comments

Popular Posts